Transitional Kindergarten FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions About Transitional Kindergarten (TK)

Pre-K child with painted hands

Below are the most commonly asked questions from parents regarding TK. Feel free to contact us if you need assistance (619) 425-2362.

  1. What is Transitional Kindergarten?
    Transitional Kindergarten is a pre-kindergarten program designed to build a bridge between early learning and kindergarten. The California Kindergarten Readiness Act established a Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program for children who miss the September 1st birth date cutoff to enroll in Kindergarten.

  2. Is TK required in order to attend Kindergarten or 1st grade?
    No. TK is an optional program and is not required in order to attend kindergarten or 1st grade.

  3. Is TK eligibility based on income?
    No. The Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program is not based on income. Parents may enroll their child in TK as long as he/she meets the TK program eligibility qualifications (age, immunizations, and residency).

  4. What are the age requirements?
    Children turning 5 years old during September 2nd and December 2nd of the current school year are eligible for TK.

  5. What are the immunization requirements?
    Please follow the requirements as listed on the link below:

  6. How do I enroll my child for TK?
    TK is offered at selected school sites. Not every school has TK. Parents register their child for TK at their neighborhood school (even if TK is not offered at that school). Families must show their child’s birth certificate, immunization record, and parent/guardian proof of residence in order to enroll. For families new to CVESD, enrollment takes place continuously throughout the school year. For more information, call your neighborhood school.

  7. Which school is my neighborhood school?
    If you do not know your child’s neighborhood school, please Click Here.

  8. What school sites offer TK?
      2020-21 TK Locations and Program hours.pdf 

    dren in classroom
  9. My neighborhood school does not offer TK. Do I still register my child at my neighborhood school?
    Yes. Neighborhood schools will enroll students for TK even if TK is not offered at that school site.

  10. What is dual language immersion?
    The dual immersion program is a language-oriented program designed to build fluency in both Spanish and English. For more information on CVESD’s dual immersion program, Click Here.
  11. What happens after I register for TK?
    Your enrollment will be entered into the district’s information system. You will receive placement confirmation by mail prior to the start of the school.

  12. How do I register my child to attend a TK program outside my neighborhood school?
    When you submit your child’s completed registration packet at your neighborhood school, ask for a zone transfer form. Complete the zone transfer and submit to your neighborhood school. Your enrollment will be entered into the district’s information system. Student Placement will assign your child to a TK school and you will receive placement confirmation by mail.

  13. How do I register my grandchild who lives with me, not with the parents?
    Contact the Student Placement Office at (619) 425-9600, ext. 1570.

  14. How do I register the brother or sister of a child already in a TK program?
    Siblings are not automatically enrolled in a school of choice. Siblings must enroll at their neighborhood school prior to requesting a zone transfer.

  15. Who provides transportation for my child to attend a school outside my neighborhood?
    Parents must provide transportation in order for students to attend school.

  16. Is licensed childcare available?
    Before and/or after school childcare located at many CVESD school sites offered through the South Bay Family YMCA accepts children attending Kindergarten through 6th grade only.

  17. What is the priority criteria for student placement?
    Students who live in a neighborhood school’s attendance area receive priority of placement at their neighborhood school. After children within each school’s attendance area have been accommodated, zone transfer requests will be honored.

  18. I have not received my confirmation of placement by mail yet. What do I do?
    Call your neighborhood school to find out if your TK registration and Zone Transfer (if applicable) was submitted to Student Placement and which TK program your child has been enrolled in. If the school does not have record of enrollment, call Student Placement at (619) 425-9600, ext. 1570.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.