Immunization Information

The California school immunization law requires that all children entering school receive proper immunizations to protect them from serious illness and to prevent the spread of communicable diseases: polio, measles, rubella, mumps, hepatitis B, varicella (chickenpox), diphtheria, tetanus, haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib meningitis), and whooping cough.

A child shall not be enrolled until documentation showing current immunizations is presented to the school, unless there is certification of homelessness. If there is a documented medical reason for exemption, please consult with your CA-licensed physician for the proper paperwork prior to enrollment. 

Immunization Requirements

California schools are required to check immunization records for all new student admissions at Transitional Kindergarten/Kindergarten through 12th grade and all students advancing to 7th grade before entry. Parents must show their child's immunization record as proof of immunization. 

Students enrolled at ages 4-6 years need these immunizations:

Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, or DT) - 5 doses. 4 doses okay if one was given on or after 4th birthday.
Polio (OPV or IPV) - 4 doses. 3 doses okay if one was given on or after 4th birthday.
Hepatitis B - 3 doses.
Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) - 2 doses (both given on or after 1st birthday).
Varicella (Chicken Pox) - 1 dose.

Students enrolled at ages 7-17 years need these immunizations: 

Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, or DT) - 4 doses. 3 doses okay if one was given on or after 2nd birthday.  1 dose at 7th grade or out-of-state transfer admission.  Grades 8-12 need 1 dose on or after the 7th birthday.
Polio (OPV or IPV) - 4 doses.  3 doses okay if one was given on or after 2nd birthday.
Hepatitis B - 3 doses.
Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) - 1 dose.  2 doses required at 7th grade. 
Varicella (Chicken Pox) - Admission at ages 7-12 years need 1 dose.  Ages 13-17 years need 2 doses.

A complete list of required immunizations can be found at these websites: 
California Department of Health Services website:
Shots for School website:

Additional Required Health Assessments

(forms are located on Required Documents page)

Kinder/First Dental Exam (OHA) Effective January 1, 2007, an Oral Health Assessment (OHA) by a licensed California dental health professional is required for children entering public school for the first time (at kindergarten or first grade). The OHA must be completed and returned to the school by May 31 of the year of entry. Assessments done 12 months prior to school entry also meet this requirement. Obtain the form from the school or your dental health provider. Transitional kindergarten students who submit an oral health assessment will complete this requirement. Parents or guardians may sign a waiver of this requirement, which is found on the OHA form. There is no penalty or exclusion if this requirement is not met. The parent or guardian can call 1-800-675-2229 for assistance in finding a provider for the OHA.

Physical Exam - California’s Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) Program.  This requires all school aged children to have a physical exam on record with the school. Please submit a copy of your child’s medical checkup to the school when you register for kindergarten or as soon as it is completed during the kindergarten year. The health exam meets the requirement if completed within 18 months of starting 1st grade. You are required to obtain this exam by 1st grade entry to make sure that your child is healthy and ready to learn. Parents or guardians needing assistance in meeting this requirement may call 1-800-675-2229. If a physical exam is against your personal beliefs, you must sign a CHDP waiver. Students who have not met this requirement by the appropriate date may be excluded from school attendance for up to five days.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.